or give us a call at843-793-1122
PLANNING FOR A VACATION WITH YOUR DOG
If you’re thinking of traveling with your dog, you are not the only one. These days pets are considered a member of the family and they go everywhere their people go. Traveling can be stressful enough as it is and when you add an animal to the mix, it can make planning and prep even more difficult. Not only is finding a pet friendly rental a challenge, but preparing and packing for your fur baby is also a lot of work. Luckily, Charleston is a dog loving community. There are literally dogs everywhere, from font porches to yards, the beaches and even in shops and restaurants. Needless to say, when you’re heading to Charleston on vacation there is no shortage of long and short term vacation rentals that are pet friendly. But before you go, be sure to take a look at these tips for traveling with your best friend.
Tips For Traveling With Your Dog
1. Research the rules, regulations and policies of your rental and the community you are staying in. Nothing is worse than unexpected issues or additional fees popping up while you are trying to enjoy your stay.
2. Purchase pet damage insurance if it is available. Dogs will be dogs and that means things are bound to get chewed, sodden and scratched.
3. If your dog is not used to traveling, start preparing them by taking short car rides so they feel comfortable with a long distance drive. It will also alert you to the fact if they get anxious or car sick.
4. For the drive, create a comfortable spot in your car and don’t forget to pack a doggie bag with everything you will need while en route. Be sure to pack food, treats, a collapsible water bowl, chew toys, a bone, a back up leash, identification tag and poop bags.
5. Take a trip to the vet prior to your vacation to make sure your dog is all caught up on shots and vaccines. Also get copies of their records in case you need them while you’re away. Asking the vet for anti anxiety meds is also a good idea, just in case.
6. Upon arrival take your dog for a stroll around the area so they feel more settled and get familiar with their surroundings.
7. Bringing your dogs crate and dog bed or a familiar blanket is a smart choice. If you need to leave them alone in your rental, they will be safe and comforted by being in their own familiar space. This will also keep them from destroying things inside the property while you are gone.
8. Research a local daycare where you are staying in advance of your trip. Just in case things are not working out at the rental, having a back up plan is always a good idea.
Ready to get started planning your Charleston, SC vacation? We’ve got some great dog friendly rentals, just look for the Paw Prints. Our Concierge Team can walk you through what properties are best for your pet. Some of our rentals have fenced in yards, or balconies and others have lots of steps, different style entryways and various features that may or may not suit your dog. While you’re in town, be sure to check out our top 20 things to experience in the lowcountry.
City bound? Maison Des Fleurs is a the perfect pet friendly pad downtown. This exquisite gem of a vacation getaway is tucked in a private retreat along Lodge Alley in the French Quarter. Walk to iconic landmarks like the Customs House, Charleston City Market, Rainbow Row or the Battery in just a few minutes. If this is how you dream of a historic Charleston vacation, then MAISON DES FLEURS is destined to become your favorite downtown getaway.
Is a beach vacay next on your agenda? You’ll love The Oasis! With its large fenced in yard and pool, your dog will be in heaven! This private and luxurious 4-bedroom, 3.5 bathroom home is nestled among shady trees and blooming hydrangeas just steps from the beach at Folly Beach. The wrap-around porches, open living spaces and gourmet kitchen are perfect for entertaining groups of up to 10 people.