If you see a beach vacation in your near future, consider packing your bags and and planning to take an unforgettable road trip to Folly Beach. If you live in the southeast, Folly Beach is already close to some of the coastal beaches you might already be familiar with or have traveled to on family vacations for years. While it may be a bit further if you reside in the northeast or the midwest, you can still easily make the drive in one day.
Folly Beach is one of the barrier islands that surround Charleston Harbor, so while you’re sure to enjoy all the sunshine and surf that comes with a beach vacation, you also get all of the charm, history, shopping and dining in historic, downtown Charleston, all wrapped into one amazing vacation. From world class Charleston restaurants like FIG, Husk or The Ordinary, to horse-drawn carriage tours, Revolutionary War sites, and breathtaking gardens, you’ll find that a day spent in the city is a nice addition to your beach vacation.
For more information about the some of the top destinations in the Charleston area, request a free copy of our Insider’s Guide for fresh, local insight!
Planning the Perfect Vacation starts with a Map
How to Get There
Getting to Folly Beach is a breeze. The major interstates that serve South Carolina, from the Upstate to the Midlands and the Pee Dee region, all make for easy, direct access to Folly Beach. Summertime means it’s peach season in SC, and you’ll want to allow extra time for your trip to explore the back roads and stop at some of the popular farm stands along the way to grab a bushel of ripe, juicy peaches, watermelons, tomatoes and even okra for true southern flavors. Whether your travels take you on I-40, I-77, or I-95 all will connect you to I-26 E to downtown Charleston.From there, it’s a quick jaunt over the Ashley River and you’ll be on Folly Road in no time.
Top things to do Once you Arrive
Get out on the Water
Whether you’re interested in trying a new watersport or hoping to just relax by the ocean, you’ll find no shortage of things to do on Folly! Some of our favorite ways to get out on the water include:
- Relaxing on the beach.
- Casting your line off the fishing pier.
- Cruising with a local boat or kayak charter.
- Taking surfing lessons.
- Sailing along the Folly River.
- Trying SUP for the first time.
Have Fun with the Family
Spend quality time with the people who matter most. Folly Beach sets the scene for an incredible family vacation. Here are some tips to ensure you make tons of memories:
- Don’t overpack. Our concierge team is happy to help with things like ensuring your rental is baby-proofed, and stocked with everything you need for your family’s arrival.
- Let us lend a hand in pre-booking all your activities (such as your visit to the aquarium, boat tours, and dinner reservations) to ensure you can squeeze in everything you want to do during your stay.
- Always have snacks on hand, as days spent on the beach and in the water just naturally seem to burn energy a little quicker and someone is sure to declare “I’m hungry”
- Sun protection is a must. Bring sunscreen, wear hats, and stay cool in the shade when you can. Charleston summers are hot. Nothing ruins a vacation faster than an excruciating sunburn!
Plan a day to Explore Historic Downtown Charleston
One of the best things about staying on Folly Beach is simply it’s close proximity to Downtown Charleston. We recommend setting aside a day or two to fully experience the Holy City:
- Stroll through the Charleston City Market.
- Peruse impressive exhibits at local museums and galleries.
- Enjoy breathtaking views from Riley Waterfront Park.
- Grab a tasty cup of coffee.
- Check out the best vegetarian restaurants on the peninsula.
Dine at the Best Restaurants
A stay on Folly means you won’t necessarily have to leave the island to find some of the best food in the Charleston area. We know exactly where to eat on Folly Beach. Here are some of our favorite restaurants:
Stay in Elegant Accommodations Right on the Beach
To complete the perfect getaway for your road trip vacation to Folly Beach after a long day on the road, you’ll appreciate arriving at a vacation rental to call home during your visit. Luxury Simplified Retreats goes above and beyond to offer guests an outstanding experience with beautiful beach rentals and unparalleled concierge services. Browse our Experience Packages to consider making your trip especially unique, then select your favorite vacation rental from our impressive portfolio. You’re going to love Folly Beach’s laid-back, small-town vibes. We can’t wait to host you!